Thursday, October 3, 2013

Halloween 2013: The Woman in Black

I love horror movies.  And I love Halloween.  I'm not sure why.  I don't dress up, I don't give out candy to children, I don't decorate.  I don't even change my Twitter avatar or anything.  I guess I just like October.  It starts out with my seester's birthday and ends in Halloween. 

Anyway, I've been netflixing a lot of horror movies this year, and I meant to give little reviews of them, but ya know something?  I'm LAZY.  And I always worry I'll sound stoopid and I don't know how to do screen grabs of movies and my blog looks stoopid, and BLAH BLAH BLAH.  Well, I decided to just throw caution to the wind this month and try to put up at least one post per day.  And today it occurred to me I could go back and review some of those horror movies since it is Halloween month.  Shocktober!  These are definitely going to vary in length, quality and coherence, but what is new? 

So, I went back through the movies I've watched this year, and the first horror movie I watched was in May???  The Woman in Black is on there, right before Behind the Candelabra, which aired at the end of May, so there we go. 

Broody Harry Potter.

The Woman in Black stars Daniel Radcliffe as a lawyer who goes to a spooky house to do some, um, legal things.  I don't remember exactly, and it doesn't matter, it's just an excuse to get him to the spooky house and the spooky villagers and all that jazz.  It's a ghost story, and it does have its share of cheesy jump scares, but it's also legitimately creepy.  Daniel Radcliffe is a decent actor and I thought it was a good horror movie, albeit with a silly ending.  But it wasn't a BAD ending, and that's about the best you can hope for in a horror movie.  It's hard to stick the landing, and as long as I don't feel like the ending ruined everything that came before it, I'm okay with it. 

I gave this one 3 1/2 stars.  It was better than I expected it would be, and I would watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment