Monday, January 10, 2011

New TV Watch: Downton Abbey

I'm not a regular PBS viewer. I always forget to check out what's on Masterpiece Theater. Actually, it's Masterpiece Classic now. The last thing I watched on PBS was Sherlock. But since then I've started checking to see what's airing on Sunday nights, especially since there's a dearth of good shows on Sundays right now. (well, and the ones I might end up watching are all on pay cable channels and I can catch them On Demand later) Last night a new show started airing, a four-part mini-series called Downton Abbey. It's a story about the people who live and work at Downton Abbey, beginning in the year 1912.

I might not have watched this show had it not been for Mo Ryan. She's a blogger at TV Squad. I don't actually follow TV Squad, but I follow Mo on Twitter and she always puts links to her posts on there so I follow up that way. Anyway, Mo has been talking up this show for a few weeks now, on her blog and on the podcast she does with Ryan McGee, "Talking TV with Ryan and Mo" (available on itunes or by RSS conversion here).

So I figured I'd give it a go and if I didn't like it I could always watch more Parks and Recreation on my new Roku. Well, I watched up the whole thing and I'm ready for more. The characters are rich and the story is interesting and it was just a lot of fun to watch. Plus, costumes! Dresses! Big Fluffy Hats!! Dame Maggie Smith asking "what's a weekend?" And she really doesn't know! So Much Fun.

For a more in-depth look at the show, read Mo Ryan's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment