Saturday, January 1, 2011

Favorite books of 2010

These are some of the best books I read this year. (Not all of them actually came out this year.) In no particular order:

Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay
Reading this book made me realize just how bad the TV series has become.

Feed by Mira Grant
It would be easy to dismiss this as just another zombie novel. It's not. It's a fully fleshed out world with real people and real consequences. I cried at the end and I don't do that easily anymore.

The Passage by Justin Cronin
The Strain and The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan
And yes, yet more vampire novels. But these are definitely not sparkly vagina-teases of vampires. These are two very different worlds and both are real and exciting and I can't wait for more.

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
A fascinating character study of a very odd family and the father at the center who is slowly going mad.

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
I probably don't have anything to say about this trilogy that hasn't already been said. Ballsy premise, excellent execution.

Infected by Scott Sigler
This book is at turns a ripping good read, hard to put down, and hard to read in places. But only because, EWWWWW!!!! One scene had me almost whimpering, muttering to myself, "no, he's not actually going to DO that, is he???? AAAAAA, he's doing it!!!!"

Revenge of the Witch (et al.) by Joseph Delaney
This is a series of young adult horror type novels that had I read them when I was say, 15, I would have had nightmares. Or at least trouble sleeping. These didn't give me nightmares, but I did enjoy reading them.

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
This is an older novel that my seester recommended to me. Rarely has a novel so completely devastated me at the end. Just a really, really good philosophical/science fiction book. Hubbie liked it too.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I'm a bit of a wallflower and I've finally accepted it about myself. I like to sit on the edge and watch and listen. I dunno, reading this novel helped me finally realize that there are perks to being a listener.

Dishonorable mention:
I only read one really bad novel this year, so rather than do a whole post for it, I'm just gonna tack it on here.

Faces of Fear by John Saul
Okay. I don't really remember the plot since I read it early in 2010. But. I do remember it was something about some guy trying to recreate his dead wife with body parts from other people. He'd see a nose that was just like hers and he'd kill the girl and cut off her nose and keep it animated so he could build a new person. And he was a plastic surgeon. And it was completely ridiculous. Just stoopid.

No comments:

Post a Comment