Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cassandra's Dream

So. It IS possible for a movie to contain the extreme hotness of both Colin Farrell and Ewan McGregor and not be the most awesomest thing evar. Which is rather depressing.

I normally like Woody Allen movies, but this one just didn't quite work somehow. I read Ebert's review and he said that even though the actors looked like brothers, they didn't feel like brothers. Which is quite accurate. I'm not sure what went wrong here because Woody Allen is clearly a movie directing god and Colin and Ewan are clearly movie actor gods, it just didn't click. The story was nothing special, but a good director can usually make that not matter so much. I didn't really like The Men Who Stare at Goats that much, but Ewan still held my attention cuz damn, previously mentioned hotness.

So I gave it 3 stars, but it's more like 2 1/2 upon further thought. It's not something I'd watch again, especially since there are better Woody Allen movies, and better Colin Farrell movies and better Ewan McGregor movies. On the other hand, I did discover Hayley Atwell, who played Ewan's love interest. Don't know if she's a good actress, but she was pretty darn hot.

Anyhoo, ultimately I wouldn't really recommend this one unless you're a completist who has to see every Allen movie. It was a thriller, in themes it kind of reminded me of Crimes and Misdemeanors or Match Point, both of which are FAR superior to this one, so I'd recommend one of those over this one even if you've seen those a gazillion times.

--Sandisan, OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment